Friday, November 26, 2010

Moving On...

Or, as Katherine S. White would say, "Onward and Upward!"
photo credit: Kelsey Cross
My house has been sold, close of escrow is December 15, and I have found a new place to dwell. As of the first of the month I will be living in an apartment for the first time since college, trading my lush gardens for a 6x10 balcony. Needless to say, this is a bit of an adjustment.

The good news is I have a wonderful collection of potted plants that are well-suited for this spot; I can indeed bring part of my garden with me. You have no idea how comforting that is.

Here is my promising garden-to-be...south facing with a nice Liquidambar tree between me and the next building. It is completely sheltered by the Spanish tile roof; in winter it is flooded with light, in summer it will be cool and shady.

My bubbling blue water pot, which has been running almost continuously for the last eight years, is coming along, and the potted Nandina will come right along with it.

Ivy from small pots behind the Buddha encircle the tree stump he sits on. This will relocate beautifully.

The Fatsia I bought the day I launched my design business is an anchor plant, and I have interesting plans for my carved Mexican posts from Santa Fe. (Hint, they don't have to be vertical, do they?)

I have the perfect spot for this red maple, and the mature Asplenium below it. My one plant-one pot philosophy of container gardening will make it fun to arrange and re-arrange.

My biggest challenge for this garden? No water out there...I have been utterly spoiled by an automatic drip system and will have to retrain myself. Where possible I will move things up a pot size so they have good resources; the sheltered location will also help. And it's not like it's a lot to take care of, is it?

So stay tuned...the garden will probably go in first, (priorities!) so it won't be long now...

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a transition. So glad your house sold and you have a south facing balcony.

    Great that you have pots ready to move. You're going to be super busy over the next few weeks, thanks for keeping us updated, was wondering how it was going.

    Love that you have the Liquidambar tree out the window. I have the same situation, big tree out south front window, shade in summer, full sun in winter. Glad you found a place for kitty to purr in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - Wishing you wonderful happiness in your new digs. Can't wait to see your adventures in balcony gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I have no doubt you will create another beautiful garden - just a different kind of one and that will be one of those challenges that keeps you going. I can't wait to see what you do! I'm so happy things are working out so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on selling your house and finding a new place. It sounds like you'll be able to take some significant pieces of your garden with you, which I'm sure will make it feel like home right away. I hope the move goes smoothly, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique The Kiwi GardenerNovember 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM

    hmmm do I see the garden creeping indoors, are hardwood floors a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you'll be settled in before Christmas, with the fountain burbling and maybe a string of lights twinkling on the balcony railing. Yes, onward and upward, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. My daughter summed it up best; my challenge is to apply everything I know about design AND about what pleases me in a garden in a very small place. Since I already have all the bits, it's just a matter of the arranging...and that's the best part. I look forward to sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Laura. I know it can't be easy, but your upbeat and positive attitude is truly inspiring. I look forward to seeing you work your magic on this balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, you should call Fern! Or, hell, I'll fly in for a weekend for balcony gardening! ;)

    I am SO happy things went so quickly for you; hectic for sure, but a blessing in another way. Can't wait to see what you create there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Laura, I'm so impressed! I'm sure you'll create a beautiful place, and so happy for your plants as well ;->.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, just been looking through your blog, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should definitely go hang with Fern! Hope the move goes well. Can't wait to see what you do with the new digs. I'm sure it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura, I enjoyed your post. I think you've picked and chosen some wonderful small treasures. Gardens are so personal and yours will give you much joy, I'm sure. Waiting to see the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will have the prettiest balcony in the apartment complex. Best wishes to you and good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome, beautiful Buddha.

    Just like to share with you a life quote...

    "I love my past. I love my present. I'm not ashamed of what I've had, and I'm not sad because I have it no longer. " -- Colette

    You can get more life quotes at http://quotelandia.com/category/life

    ReplyDelete