Saturday, May 1, 2010

A May Day Bouquet

One of my favorite traditions as a child was the May Day Bouquet; I recall the construction paper cones we made in school, stuffed with whatever we could find and hung on doorknobs. So here are a few treasures for you to celebrate the return of this lovely month, enjoy!

Pelargonium 'Fragrant Frosty'

Moroccan Poppy (Papaver atlanticum 'Flore Pleno')

Euphorbia 'Helena's Blush' and California Poppies (Escholtzia californica)

Hybrid Tea Rose 'John F. Kennedy'

Red climbing rose (my neighbor's, but it grows over my fence!)

Yellow single rose (ditto!)

Amber Carpet Rose

Dwarf Pomegranate (Punica granatum 'Nana')

Dwarf Breadseed Poppy (Papaver setigerum)

Blue Shrimp Plant (Cerinthe major var. purpurascens)

Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)

Thyme-leaf Fuchsia (Fuchsia thymifolia)

Mock Orange (Pittosporum tobira)

Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana alata grandiflora)

Californa Poppies and Sweet Alyssum

Nasturtium 'Moonlight'

Culinary Sage (Salvia officinalis)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! The May Day bouquet... but it was always only violets and lilies of the valley... and maybe some dandelions. Nothing else was in bloom (that Mom would let us pick).

    I love the poppy! I'm nuts about poppies, so that one was easy. Great pics! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Daniel I'm in LOVE with both of my new poppies, gifts from Annie's Annuals. And a good thing too, both are said to be generous reseeders (the Moroccan for hot/dry areas, the Breadseed for moister spots...bring it on, I say!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What companion plants, if any, do you grow your roses with?

    ReplyDelete