Monday, October 25, 2010

Saying Goodbye, and Hello


Well, hello there. Yes, it has been a long time. I've missed you.

As it often does, my annual visit to Santa Fe took my life and shook it up, but good. Changes that I had to make became clear. I realized that it was time to simplify my life, again. Now.

Four years ago my daughter, son and I moved here together. It's a cozy house for three (especially when one plays the electric guitar) but my son soon moved to his own apartment closer to work, and my daughter finished high school and went away to college. Nest = very empty.

So it's time to let it go; I can no longer keep it. The wonderful gardens I built, I can no longer care for. I have suspected all along that I've been preparing this home for someone else, who needs it as much as I did four years ago. Now I'm ready for something smaller & simpler.

I can make a home and a garden anywhere I go. This I know for sure. I'll share what I can of the journey, but as you might have noticed, I'm not as free with my sorrows as I am with my joys.

And don't worry, there are joys too. Every day. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder.

Wish me luck...

11 comments:

  1. You said it - you can make a home and garden wherever you land. And I guarantee wherever you land, the place will be as amazing as this one (and you). I feel lucky to have seen it in person. Looking forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie...I loved the pictures you took. Was thinking of you when I wrote this; you just never can tell with life, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you luck! Leaving a home is never easy...especially when you are a gardener. But as you so succinctly put it "you can make a home and a garden anywhere"...hopefully you'll be taking us along with you, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Life is a journey that never takes us in a straight line. There are always twists and turns along the way and new beginnings and discoveries. Just think of your new home as a blank slate on which to do your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck Laura. Life is a crazy journey. So many times the joy seems fleeting. You are at a crossroads and which ever road you take just think of it as a new adventure and all the undiscovered joy you will find. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your "awaiting garden". xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I am sorry to hear what a tumultuous time you've been having with such wrenching decisions. Of course I wish you luck, but you have so many talents and gifts I honestly think you'll need very little of it. Give Haku a big hug for me and one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the changes, Laura. You are wise to recognize what you need to do, and to go with it rather than fight it. I hope your home sells quickly and you get to move on to your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, Laura! I admire your ability to let you and embrace change. Joy on the journey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, your cheerful way of looking into the future even when that future is uncertain is a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big hugs to you, I know change can be scary. But honestly I'm excited to see what you do in a new space. You have a gift of making any garden beautiful.

    ReplyDelete